October 20, 2021 4:19pm
Owen Sound Acting Fire Chief William Plagenz has challenged everyone in the City of Owen Sound to test their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and “Get Loud.”
He said that needs to be part of everyone’s fire prevention plan.
By law, every home in Ontario must have a working smoke alarm on every story and outside all sleeping areas.
Plagenz added too often fatal fires in Ontario occur in homes where there were no working smoke alarms.
‘The “Get Loud” initiative is a challenge to homeowners and residents to ensure they have tested their smoke alarms to ensure they are in proper working order.
This can be done by pressing the “test” button on your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector until you hear loud beeps.
Replace the batteries if the alarms do not sound when the test button is pushed. If the alarms still don’t sound, replace the alarms.
Testing your alarms is the only way to ensure they are working and that you and your family can be alerted in the event of a fire.
“Knowing the different sounds your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms make can save you, your loved ones, and your home. “Get Loud!” testing your alarms every month to learn the sound they make and to ensure the batteries work,” said Plagenz
“Take immediate action if your smoke or carbon monoxide alarms sound. If the alarms beep in an emergency, get everyone out of the home. If your alarms chirp, replace the batteries or alarms immediately,” said Fire Prevention Officer Greg Nicol
Carbon Monoxide is a clear, tasteless, odorless gas and Carbon Monoxide alarms are required on each floor that has a bedroom in a house that has fuel fired appliances and/or an attached garage.
Plan and practice your home fire safety plan so you have a meeting place outside of the building.
Read Full Story