ontario pauses first doses of astrazeneca vaccine
| | | | | | | | | |

Ontario pauses first doses of AstraZeneca vaccine

Ontario Health says it has stopped administering the first doses of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine over concerns about rare blood clots.

During a news conference Tuesday, the province’s chief medical officer of health, Dr. David Williams, said over the last several days, Ontario has reported a growing number of vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia (VITT) incidents.

“The decision to pause [the AstraZeneca vaccine] is also based on the increased and reliable supply of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines, and also a recent downward trend of cases,” Dr. Williams said.

As of May 8, over 650,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine were administered with a VITT rate of 0.9 per 100,000 doses. Over the last few days, Dr. Williams says the number has since increased to 1.7 per 100,000 doses administered.

The province’s chief health protection and emergency preparedness officer, Dr. Jessica Hopkins, said there had been eight cases of VITT reported in Ontario as of May 8. The rate of having a side effect has gone from one in 100,000 to one in 60,000.

Following the decision, Dr. Williams said the province will be reviewing alternative options for those who have already received their first dose of the vaccine. He said the province is not certain as to when or if more doses of the vaccine will arrive. Ontario has 49,280 doses on hand out of over 707,000 received.

More to come. 
ontario pauses first doses of astrazeneca vaccine Read Full Story

Similar Posts